LawRefs Customized Legal Information
Attorney Renee C. Walsh

Urinating in Public


Look to the city, village, or township codes to find Urinating in Public, or “UIP”, a crime.

  • Indecent Exposure:  The State of Michigan has a statute against “indecent exposure”.  MCL 750.335a states that a person shall not knowingly make any open or indecent exposure of his or her person or of the person of another.  There is a 1 year / $1000 misdemeanor and a high court (treated in the nature of a felony) 2 year / $2000 misdemeanor.  A sexually delinquent person can be punished for an indeterminate term, the minimum of which is 1 day and the maximum of which is life.
  • Disorderly Persons:  Michigan also has a statute punishing disorderly persons, which references indecent exposure.  Under MCL 750.167, a disorderly person is a person who is intoxicated in a public place and who is either endangering directly the safety of another person or of property or is acting in a manner that causes a public disturbance.  A disorderly person is also one that is engaged in indecent or obscene conduct in a public place.  Either one of these could apply to someone who urinates in public.
  • Public Nudity:  On the local level, such as in Meridian Township, Michigan, the Charter Township of Meridian Code Sec. 50-111 address public nudity and indecency.  Sec. 50-112 addresses spitting, urinating, and defecating specifically.

“Sex Offender”:  There is a question of whether a person who has been convicted of urinating in public must register on the Michigan Sex Offenders List. According to the Sex Offender Registry Act, the intent of the act was to better assist law enforcement officers and the people of this state in preventing and protecting against the commission of future criminal sexual acts by convicted sex offenders. A person who has been convicted of committing an offense covered is considered to pose a potential serious menace and danger to the health, safety, morals, and welfare of the people, and particularly the children, of Michigan. The registration requirements of this act are intended to provide law enforcement and the people of this state with an appropriate, comprehensive, and effective means to monitor those persons who pose such a potential danger.

Is someone who urinates in public a person who poses such a potential danger? The answer depends on the conviction as persons who have been convicted of a the following offenses must register:

  • (i) A violation of MCL 750.145a, 750.145b, and 750.145c, referring to accosting, enticing or soliciting a child for immoral purpose.
  • (ii) A violation of MCL 750.158, referring to crimes against nature or sodomy involving victims less than age 18.
  • (iii) A violation of MCL 750.335a, if the individual was previously convicted of violating section 335a referring to indecent exposure statute referenced above.
  • (iv) A third or subsequent violation of any combination of: Section 167(1)(f) referring to disorderly persons; section 335a(2)(a) referring to indecent exposure; or a local ordinance of a municipality substantially corresponding to a section described.
  • (v) A violation of MCL 750.338, 750.338a, and 750.338b, referring to gross indecency involving victims less than age 18.
  • (vi) A violation of MCL 750.349, referring to kidnapping involving a victim less than age 18.
  • (vii) A violation of MCL 750.350, referring to taking away or enticing a victim less than age 14.
  • (viii) A violation of MCL 750.448, referring to prostitution involving an individual less than age 18.
  • (ix) A violation of MCL 750.455, referring to pandering of prostitution.
  • (x) A violation of MCL 750.520b, 750.520c, 750.520d, 750.520e, and 750.520g, referring to rape crimes.
  • (xi) Any other violation of a law of Michigan or a local ordinance of a municipality that by its nature constitutes a sexual offense against an individual who is less than 18 years of age.
  • (xii) An offense committed by a person who was, at the time of the offense, a sexually delinquent person as defined in MCL 750.10a.
  • (xiii) An attempt or conspiracy to commit an offense described in subparagraphs (i) to (xii).
  • (xiv) An offense substantially similar to an offense described in subparagraphs (i) to (xiii) under a law of the United States, any state, or any country or under tribal or military law.

In Michigan, if the individual is convicted of a violation of the Charter Township of Meridian Code Sec. 50-112 addressing spitting, urinating, and defecating for example, since the conviction is not one that is identified herein-above, he will not have to register.

Defense:  Those charged could consider the defense of disability as where the person, due to a disability, violated this law because of necessity.  One can argue an undersized bladder or kidney problems for example.  An affidavit of a physician assists in proving this defense.

Persons charged with urinating in public should negotiate with prosecutors to charge them under laws that do not fit under the guise of the sex offender registry.


  1. I got my court date and it turns out it is when I am in Hawaii with my family and the court says there is no way to reschedule. To my understanding there will be a warrant out for my arrest and I will then have to post $100 in bond. Is this true? Is there any way to reschedule the date that they are not telling me? The people on the phone were not helpful at all and in fact very rude. Also I took your advice and tried contacting the prosecutors office but they wont know who is working my case until the day of my case. Is getting a lawyer my best option right now because of my schedule conflict and not being able to speak to the prosecutor?

    • Dear Alex:

      Write a letter to the judge informing him that you must be in Hawaii and cannot reschedule the trip. Ask him for a new date sometime after you arrive home. Be very respectful in the correspondence and you should be able to get a new date. If that doesn’t work, then write to the prosecutor’s office and request an adjournment from them. If all else fails, an attorney representing you will be able to get a new date for you or alternatively appear on your behalf.

  2. My boyfriend owns a landscaping business, and while they were on a job site one of his employees urinated near the road but opened the truck door to obstruct what he was doing. The person who hired them is now refusing to pay, because supposedly his 13-year-old daughter saw this action. Once again the truck door completely obstructed any view of the act. Does this person have a legitimate complaint? Was the act still legal?

    • Dear Jenny:

      Typically, the owner of the business is not legally responsible for such acts of his employees. The landowner is obligated on the contract. Their claim is against the individual who urinated, nor the owner of the business.

  3. If you have an intent to urinate, but don’t actually do it, and a police officer pulls up, assuming that you had just finished, is that still illegal, even if nothing actually happened? I was about to unzip and then I saw there were people around, so I stopped and turned around, at that point, the officers were right there, having assumed I had just finished. I wanted to know if "intent" is enough to be found guilty. They did verbally tell me what the ticket was for and when they asked me why I think they stopped me, I said, "I don’t know.&quot. I just want to make sure I don’t incriminate myself by saying there was intent.

    • Dear Aliver:

      Intent to commit a crime is not by itself a crime. If you do not commit the act of exposure, then you have not committed the crime. You saw people and purposefully DID NOT commit the act of exposing yourself. Your intent was not to commit the crime. Don’t say anything except that you did not urinate in public and did not expose yourself. You may consider saying that you had to go so badly that you assessed what to do, but that you determined you should wait.

  4. My friend is charged with Gambling Trespassing. He was attempting to go out to a bar in the casino and waited in line for forty minutes then overheard the body guards saying "no more men are allowed in". My friend asked to speak to a manager and the body guard would not respond (the body guard, however was the manager). He asked to see the manager again and there was no response. My friend said, What is the f""" problem? The body guard forced his body against my friend’s body and my friend put his hands up in the air saying "there is no problem&quot. The body guard then put his right hand on my friend and my friend attempted self defense when he was handcuffed by some cops. They charged him with Gambling Trespassing. What shall we do to dismiss the case? There is video footage that shows the entire incidence in detail and the police report states the exact explanation that I provided you.

    • Dear Jehan S.:

      Your friend your get a lawyer to represent him – either a court appointed or retained lawyer. If the scenario is on video, this can be requested and produced in your friend’s defense. If the charge is trespass, the defense would be that there was no trespass as your friend was never told to leave. The video should assist in supporting the defense if the facts are as you state. However, your friend’s conduct is likely to be viewed as disorderly, having used offensive language.

  5. I just received a UIP ticket during tailgate. I had two doors of a vehicle and the vehicle blocking me from the front and both sides. I have nothing on my record. What is the charge and what should I do?

    • Dear Dave:

      The offense is a misdemeanor 93 days and/or $500. You could appear at the arraignment, request a court appointed attorney and plead not guilty. You could also appear at the arraignment (within 10 days typically), plead not guilty and then at the next hearing, the pre-trial, talk directly with the prosecutor. You should obtain a copy of the police report (request a copy from the prosecutor’s office or via a FOIA request of the police department) and review that ahead of time to find out what the police saw and/or who were the witnesses against you. If there is enough evidence against you, consider requesting to plead to disorderly conduct versus the urinating in public – both are misdemeanors. Consider also asking for a dismissal in that you have a clean record.

  6. Is urinating on the side of an interstate when your car breaks down illegal? My son got a ticket for it, but he was broken down for over 4 hours and had nowhere to go to the restroom. I am fighting it in court next week, because I think it is ridiculous. It was dark outside at 10 pm and the officer pulls up right as he was going, which was about 40 feet from the road. Noone would have seen him if the officer wouldn’t have spotlighted him. He was with some friends as well. They couldn’t see him urinating from the car either. This seems like the officer was just looking for a ticket to write.

  7. A friend of mine urinated outside in an alley behind a Quality Dairy. The police didn’t see him, but pulled up and he admitted to it. The policeman charged him with indecent exposure, after asked him his social security number (is that legal), then gave him a breath test and threw the test in the road (isn’t that littering), then made him walk home. He had 2 beers all day and showed a trace amount but well under the limit. The policeman told him to have his wife walk back and get the car or he would have it towed. What is the fine for indecent exposure, and shouldn’t it have been urinating in public? If so, what is the fine for that?

    • Dear Belle:

      Indecent exposure is a one year misdemeanor and/or $1000 fine. Urinating in public falls under the indecent exposure law and the fine is the same under the state law.

      As to the Social Security Number, a person does not have to give that out and can provide their driver license or other identifying information instead. However, I am not aware of a prohibition of a police officer to inquire as to that. One could write a letter to the Chief of the Police asking for the protocol. In any event, this can be brought up with the prosecutor to inquire why this is asked and how the Number will be used. A writing is always best.

      Consider telling the prosecutor that a complaint will be filed against the police officer for littering and see if he will drop the case against your friend.

  8. I got a ticket for urinating in public, but there is no MCL cited on the ticket. In the place where it’s supposed to cite the MCL, it says "urinating". Do I have a case in that there is no MCL properly cited?

    • Dear Dave:

      If there is any confusion as to what the officer intended in issuing the ticket, the officer will be contacted. Furthermore, the charging document – the information or complaint – will discuss the incident. What matters is the charge on which you are arraigned.

  9. I was with a group of guys and my friend and I needed to go to the restroom. It was outside of a club, in front, in an area where the large trash containers are kept in that he decided to go. We went in and after the duty was done we stepped out of the area. Opening the cracked doors a police officer was waiving a flashlight at us and said for us to sit on the ground and that he was going to cite us for public urination. The issue is, is there any way to get out of the citation if the officer never went into the area or even saw us doing anything. They never went in to see if we did urinate.

    • Dear Ray:

      Yes, you should challenge the evidence. There must be a witness or evidence, not mere speculation on the part of the police. If there is none, then you have a case for dismissal.

  10. My 19yo son was ticketed for Disorderly conduct in Lansing this weekend (4/3/09). He is scheduled to appear in 10 days. He had been drinking after the MSU win over Uconn. Is there a lesser charge that the writing officer can reduce the ticket to? Can he pay the ticket and not appear in court?

    • Dear Charles:

      Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor which is the lowest penalty and therefore there are no lesser charges that apply. However, your son could ask to plead guilty to disturbing the peace, with entry of the conviction held in abeyance. In this situation, he pleads guilty and completes probation successfully, and then no conviction is entered. Such an opportunity is provided for in the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, under which a judge can place a youth between 17 and 20 who is alleged to have committed a crime and who has pleaded guilty to that crime to be placed on probation without a conviction to avoid a criminal record. This action protects the privacy of the offender while on trainee status. If the youth successfully completes the program, there is no criminal record. Probation cannot exceed three years.

  11. My friend and I recently each got a ticket for urinating in public, but I was not urinating- I simply walked with my friend to a public park to make sure that she would not get lost/make a mess of herself/etc. We are both female.

    I am going to court to fight my ticket since I was not urinating, just watching over my friend because she was intoxicated. Does the fact that I allowed her to urinate incriminate me at all, as an accomplice or something of the sort?

    • Dear Alyssa:

      There is no reason that you should be inculpated because of your friend. Stand firm in your defense.

  12. Two of my friends and I were walking along the beach late at night when I was hit with a full bladder attack. I ran to the closest, darkest, most secluded spot and began doing my duty when my other friends joined. A cop pulled up and told us to sit down, asked for our ID’s and gave us urinating in public citations (Los Angeles). I was wondering if I should ask the prosecutor if he will work out an arrangement before or after the court date. I am also wondering where to find my case number.

    • Dear Bob:

      Sometimes it takes awhile for the case to get entered into the system. If you call the district court clerk’s office in the county in which you were ticketed, and give them your name, you should find your ticket/case number. Typically prosecutor’s do not review their files until the day of the pretrial. As an attorney, I call a few days before the pretrial and leave a message. I usually get a call the day before or the morning of the hearing.

  13. I recently got a summons for UIP with a friend, In NYC. Thing is it was 2:25 am and there was nowhere else I could use the bathroom at the time. I am 17-years-old.

    • Dear Michael:

      We found §153.09 which prohibits a person from throwing or putting any blood, swill, brine, offensive animal matter, noxious liquid, dead animals, offal, putrid or stinking vegetable or animal matter or other filthy matter of any kind, and also prevents them from allowing any such matter to run or fall into any street, public place, sewer, receiving basin or river, any standing or running water or into any other waters of the City as defined in §145.01.

      Persons of your age and with no criminal history are typically good candidates for probation. Consider contacting the attorney prosecuting your case and asking him/her whether you can enter a plea of guilty which can be held in abeyance and if you successfully complete probation, would not be entered. If no, ask if there is a similar program / act / law, that might be available. Furthermore, anything you use to prove that you deserve some leniency should be used to advocate on your behalf for leniency. For example, consider doing some volunteer work and getting a statement from the individual for whom you provided volunteer services. Consider getting statements from people who know you and presenting those to the prosecutor’s office.

  14. I was recently issued a disorderly conduct ticket for public urination in Detroit. I have never had any prior legal issues, and have a clean record. While I understand that I was in the wrong as far as the law is written, I am wondering if the fact that the officer who issued the ticket got just about all of my information wrong might be cause to get the case dropped, the ticket states the incorrect eye color, race, time that the ticket was issued (the ticket states 0:30 A.M. when the ticket was issued at 3 in the morning), and has no height or weight written on it. Does any of this have any relevance in court? and if not what would be the best way to go about getting the case dropped?

    Also the officer said that he was writing the ticket because the location was too obvious and that I should have found a back alley or dumpster, however at the time there were no public bathrooms open, and venturing into random back alleys while intoxicated is a really fast way to get yourself mugged. Would any of this help my case?

    • Dear BW:

      What you have is a credibility issue for the officer and yes, you can use this as leverage in negotiating. If you are not going to get a deal, then make the prosecution prove their case as this is your constitutional right. When the officer is called to the stand, his credibility can be attacked with the incredible ticket information. It doesn’t sound like he could even identify you though.

      It also sounds like the officer was assuming that you urinated in public. It would be of value to know if he actually saw you urinating. This is another issue to draw out in court.

      Perhaps you should request an attorney be appointed for you, or considering retaining an attorney.

  15. I was in Royal Oak and I couldn’t get into the closest bar to go to the bathroom. There were cops everywhere because of the Stanley Cup finals, but I thought no one saw me when I turned in to a dark alley. It was pitch black in the alley and I was hiding behind a dumpster, out of sight when a cop car pulled up and I received a UIP. The cop asked me why I didn’t just go in the bar next door to the alley, and I told him I couldn’t get in. I don’t have a record, but was drinking during the incident. Do I have a case? No one saw me, as the cop only told me to come out from behind the dumpster before issuing me the ticket. Also, is there a way to ask for community service in lieu of paying a fine?

    • Dear Jane:

      Request a copy of the police report under the Freedom of Information Act. Only by reading the report can one discern if there is a decent defense. It sounds like you may have admitted to the officer that you were urinating.

      Ttry to speak with the officer who arrested you and the prosecutor to see if you can strike a deal with them, and doing community service before going to court makes a great impression.

  16. My boyfriend recently received a public urination violation in the town of West Chester, PA. We were coming out of a bar around 2am with everyone else, he ran behind an alley to pee, and a couple of cops followed him and told him he was going to be charged with public urination. In West Chester, this is a Public Indecency violation.

    He is extremely worried because he is an elementary school teacher in New Jersey. NJ recently passed a law requiring all educators to report "any offense, whether charged or convicted, in any jurisdiction," to the superintendent within 14 days of the offense. He is now concerned that he will lose his job.

    He has a completely clean record (not even a speeding ticket) other than this charge. I told him he needs to get a lawyer. Do you have any advice/idea how this could play out? Is there any chance he could get it dismissed?

    • Dear Eliz:

      Your boyfriend should get a really good attorney. Advocate for a charge that is not one as to which termination from employment is mandatory, such as disturbing the peace. A good attorney should try to get creative as for example, sometimes, a conviction can be held in abeyance upon successful completion of probation so that the charge would be dismissed.

  17. I received a UIP ticket on June 26 in Michigan. It was 1 am after we left the bar. I was drunk. The cop took me to jail, gave me a breathalyzer and let me go five hours later. I was drunk and that’s the reason for me doing something horrible like that. I am 22, and planning on going to law school. I take the LSAT in September. I really don’t want this horrible night to be on my record. It will ruin a lot of employment opportunities. I really do not drink a lot. I have a full time job and then I study for the LSAT. I have never been in trouble before and have a clean record. What can I do to get this to not be on my record. I am willing to do anything. What are my chances for this to be just a fine. I have definitely learned my lesson. I do not want a misdemeanor on my record. Also, I am getting an attorney, but how can I know if it is a good one who has connections. Also, I was polite to the officer and did everything I was told. He even let me go when I was still drunk. Do you recommend for me to do anything before court?

    • Dear Jenn:

      You can work with the prosecutor on this. You should start laying a foundation in advance by doing community service and attending AA procuring signatures evidencing your attendance. You can ask for a conditional plea or a plea held in abeyance which can be dismissed after successful completion of whatever requirements the prosecutor and/or a probation officer choose. Your charges would likely be misdemeanor crimes such as disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, etc.

      When you are ready to get your law license, as long as you have nothing further on your record, even if you are unable to finesse a deal, your offense should be excused.

  18. I recently got a ticket for urinating in public. I was walking home from a bar with some friends and a cop saw and frisked me while asking for drugs. I had nothing and was also not breathalyzed. He gave me a ticket and said he could of taken me to jail but chose not to. What is my best course of action here?

    • Dear Adam:

      If the police officer saw you urinate, you will likely be charged with urinating in public. If you have no criminal history, you could consider asking the prosecutor to show you some leniency by allowing you to enter a conditional plea whereby you plead guilty but this plea is not entered following a successful period of probationary compliance.

      Consider hiring a well known criminal attorney who might be able to use their reputation to strike a deal for you.

  19. Last Saturday, our group was canoeing/kayaking down the Muskegon River in Newaygo County, Michigan. We stopped along the way in a secluded wooded area for a potty stop. Those needing to went in the woods to relieve themselves. As my friend turned around there stood two sheriffs and they cited him for urinating in public. They also gave him a breathalyzer test and he blew .055. They handed him the instrument used during the test and said "here’s a souvenir for you" they also asked him why he didn’t just pee in the river? My friend told him because that was disgusting to pollute the river and there were women around that he didn’t want to offend. Now he has to appear in court for a misdemeanor Urinating in Public. What should we do? This is just crazy! What are you supposed to do when you are out in the wild with no Porta-Jons or bathrooms available?

    • Dear Sue:

      I agree that the officer who ticketed your friend was unreasonable. Your friend should probably get an attorney and should request any copies of recordings. If I were representing him, I would get the recording of him saying that your friend should have gone in the river (because in that situation, even though it is still public, he would not given a ticket) or if none, I would get the officer to admit that he would not have given the ticket had your friend gone in the water. I would argue that your friend had no option and relative to the circumstances, he was in private, not in public. I would ask for a dismissal.

  20. I recently received a Urination in Public ticket in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. I have a pretty long record, but no indecent exposure or anything like that. The officer said he could have taken me to jail, but since I’m on 2 other city probations, he didn’t. I was just wondering what the best thing I could do is?

    I was on my property by my garage. It was 1:37 am and there are no kids or anything out at that time. The cop was parked right across my driveway for what reason I don’t know. I was drinking but was given no breathalyzer or pbt. They knew my first and last name and that I was on probation. What should I do and what could happen?

    • Dear Tim B:

      If the public could see you urinate, then even though you were on your property, you are urinating in public. I recommend that to mitigate any legal ramifications, you hire an attorney.

  21. I am a student at Michigan State University and frequent the football tailgates there. Generally there are very long lines for the bathrooms and some students, as a result, choose to urinate on trees and other things that are not the toilets in Port-a-Johns. I can understand how this can be construed as UIP, but what about peeing in a milk jug, or other receptacle for that matter? What if it was inside ones car or truck? The windows blacked out? Could it be construed as UIP if one was peeing in a jug be hind a tarp hung from ones truck, hidden from public view?

    • Dear JayPee:

      A key element of the offense of urinating in public is being in the public view. If one urinates and is not in the public view, then a prosecutor will have a hard time trying a case of urinating in public. The greater lengths one goes to stay out of the public view when urinating, the less strength the prosecutor would have to go forward with the case. Chances are when pressed, the prosecutor would dismiss the case.

  22. I’m from California and visited Grand Rapids, MI a few weeks ago. While there, I was cited for urinating in public in a dark alley after leaving a bar late at night. This is out of character for me (I have no prior offenses), but I really had to go and couldn’t wait b/c my friends were taking too long. I am very concerned because I’m a 30-something doctor and don’t want to have to explain this misdemeanor every time I apply for a new job. I have an arraignment coming up very soon. Do you have any recommendations of how I might get the offense reduced, or anything else? Do you think I should hire an attorney? I really appreciate any advice, as I’ve been very stressed out about the thought of a misdemeanor on my record.

    • Dear Joe:

      If you feel comfortable, you can speak with the prosecutor (you can do this at the arraignment or even before by calling the prosecutor’s office for the county in which you were arrested, and asking to speak with the prosecutor assigned to the case) and without admitting your guilt (you cannot be forced to do this), say that you have an excellent record but you are not perfect and you make mistakes like everyone else. Ask if there is a plea that can be entered that will keep you off the sex offender’s registry. Explain that you are a doctor and it has hit home to you after this incident how important it is to always conduct yourself in a certain way.

      If the prosecutor doesn’t understand this, I would be concerned enough to hire an attorney. At this point, you should say that you are going to hire an attorney and will enter a plea of not guilty at this time.

      If you do not feel comfortable advocating for yourself, then yes, hire an attorney now. With no prior history, be confident that this will work out for you. You are meant to save lives! Stay positive.

  23. Over the weekend, I went out with some friends. It has been YEARS since I have gone out. I allowed them to talk me into it, and lets just say.. I now remember why I stay home – ha ha. I Have no criminal record what so ever. We were leaving the bar and my friends and I were complaining about having to go to the bathroom. So, I jokingly pulled my pants down and squatted (Undergarments still on) and an officer just so happened to pull up. I pulled my pants up and began to walk away, and he called me back. He asked me what I was doing and I explained it to him. A friend I was with was trying to tell him that I didn’t actually go to the bathroom and I just pulled my pants down (not even all the way down). Well the officer was NOT happy about my friend defending me. He told him to shut up and when he didn’t the cop said “now because you didn’t want to shut up, she is getting a ticket”. Then, he looked at me and said “thank your friend.” Even the fellow officers were blown back and rolled there eyes as if “you’re really going to give her a ticket”. I am just wondering how to handle this because I am in nursing school and DO NOT want anything along those lines on my record. HeLP!

    • Dear Raybay:

      If you couch the incident in terms of harmless joking around and you have witnesses who would be willing to testify on your behalf, there seems no question that you would be able to successfully defend the charge. Furthermore, there is evidence of misconduct on the part of the police in that the basis of the arrest was not your actions, but the legal conduct of another.

      Handle this by pleading “not guilty”. If you can’t work it out early on with the prosecutor, then hire an attorney or request a court appointed attorney. There is no question you do not want this on your record. Proceed with confidence, understanding and appropriate respect. It may take some time, but with persistence, you should succeed.

  24. Over 5 years ago, I was in East Lansing, urinated in public, spent the night in jail. A week later, I went to court and pleaded guilty to Disorderly/Urinate, ORD# 26-52 (8). I am applying to get the conviction set aside, but when I looked at the State of Michigan ICHAT system and ordered my criminal record, nothing came back for me, no record of the incident in their system. I ordered a 3rd party criminal record search and again nothing came back for me. Is this normal? I have the court record of the incident and I paid all ordinance fines. Do you think this was posted to my criminal record if I can not find a record of it through the State or 3rd party? Also, I have no other offenses, or criminal history. Thank you so much!

    • Dear KCD:

      The ICHAT system “ONLY provides criminal history records involving serious misdemeanors and felonies that are available to the general public due to State of Michigan privacy policy. Federal records, tribal records, traffic records, juvenile records, local misdemeanors, and criminal history from other states can not be found on ICHAT.” Furthermore, while the Michigan State Police encourages the reporting of all felony, misdemeanors and arrests under local ordinances that substantially correspond to the state law, law enforcement agencies are only statutorily required to report felony and misdemeanors whose penalty can exceed 92 days confinement.

      It would seem that your conviction falls within one of the excluded categories.

  25. Last night I was pulling up to my softball game. On my way to park there were people standing in the parking spot. I continued in and they moved. Words were exchanged and I continued on to my game. Half way through cops came and took me out of my game, walked me to the parking lot and cited me with urinating in public. The people said I urinated on their vehicle. I never even returned to the vehicle after the initial confrontation, so I could not have urinated on or anywhere near their vehicle. What can I do to fight this?

    • Dear Josh:

      In what Michigan county do you live? If you are innocent, deny it wholeheartedly and with confidence. Even if you are not, you are innocent until proven guilty. At the first hearing, you may consider pleading “not guilty” and if you cannot afford it, an attorney will be appointed for you. Insist that the complainants are lying and you will get to the bottom of it. Your initial requests should include a copy of the police report and all statements. In the discovery process, you will be able to gather evidence as to their credibility. If they are lying and you can prove it, then you have a civil lawsuit against each and everyone of them.

  26. I received a citation in February for UIP. I was intoxicated and had my friend who had not been drinking drive me home. It was 4am and we weren’t near my house so I asked him to let me out so I could pee. 2 miles later the cop pulled us over said he was swerving and said he saw me peeing. He said to pay the ticket and it won’t go in my record. The ticket is 350 dollars and it’s an ordinance. What can I do in my defense?

    • Dear Darius:

      A red flag went up when you described that the officer stated that he saw your friend, who had not been drinking, swerving. If it is true that your friend was not drinking, then perhaps the police officer did not have probable cause to pull him over. Also, a UIP would stay on your record, so without more information, it is unclear what the officer is promising when he says that it won’t if you pay. In your defense, you may respond to the ticket with not responsible or not guilty, as applicable, ask for an attorney at the first hearing, and see what discovery yields and how much negotiating power you may have.

  27. I am a private investigator and required to sit in my vehicle all day and watch for people. My employer REQUIRES I urinate and defecate in my vehicle so as to not leave the site. Does this not constitute the ‘public’ and therefore, illegal??

    • Dear Craven M.:

      If someone sees you or could see you, then yes, the conduct is likely to be considered indecent or obscene, and therefore, illegal. Your employer could be held responsible as an accomplice as well.

  28. Recently, I was walking home from the bars and stopped at a Jack in the Box whose restroom was closed. I made the stupid decision to pee behind a dumpster out of view for no more than 20 seconds. There were numerous pee stains on the wall from other people. When I came out two officers on bikes were approaching me and stopped me. I denied peeing and said I was throwing something away and missed. They looked at the multiple pee stains behind the dumpster and said I had drops of pee on my shoe, but the drops were barely visible if at all, and could have been from drinks. I am sure that they did not see me in the act so do I have a chance fighting it?